About Me

My photo

Member of Extraordinary people.

Followers

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Calm Before the Storm...


There is only so much one can creatively say, paint, sing, perform, or do before one begins to sense one's own redundancy. Yes, this repetition of life within myself, it is painfully so. I feel this sense that things have fallen into a definable, predictable routine and that itself becomes unsettling because it has limitations on the evolution of my mind and can actually make me feel... well, limited. We might call this sense: the calm before the storm.






I have managed to weave myself into a fabric that is not a good fit on me at all. In fact, I have managed to create this uncomfortable lifestyle by choice, in my choosing of a routine way of life--just to be called "stable" and "calm," and to be seen as consistent, and thereby accepted into the context of our social way of life in this country. I do this because without actual words there are habits, formations, activities that speak without words, what society expects of us. Many times it seems as though society expects robotic behavior just to keep the GNP rolling; no mood swings, no down time, no irratic behavior, just ... drive ... .

But in truth, this "calm" exterior is not my nature at all.  I suspect that this nature is not a true rendition of many who play it out each day, routinely, just to perpetuate a facade, and to appear as everyone else. Every society has a social contract and it is made up for reasons of ease or convenience. This way, everyone knows already what to expect of everyone else. But in some cases, that does not really fit many people who try to fit into our larger social culture of robotic calm. So society tries to define these "types" of people. Hence, our newest medical discoveries of bipolar, mood swing, multi-identity behavioral issues in people. 

All this sounds as though I am hinting at some kind of science fiction plot, like the Matrix or something, just to lay down some rhetoric on a blog; just to exercise my communicative acuity in some daily, virtual newscast--an announcer who really has nothing to say, but must "go on with the show." 
No. I am working up to a very specific concept that troubles me for the sake of myself and others like me. The concept of "the Calm before the storm." 


I have always liked that expression because it reminds me of when I was a child. As a little girl I had an acute sense of when something was about to happen. I would wait eagerly as my intuition awaited a ripple in the status quo. Sometimes, nothing happened. Other times, I was right, and thrived on the thrill of my insightful talent. So, in speaking about the aforementioned phenomenon, the expression--the calm before the storm--it fit perfectly. Those who know of changes coming, or at least sense a change coming, will say this:  Oh now, look! This is the calm before a storm.  Is this a true phenomenon?

There is truth to the idea of calm before a storm, found in scientific resources, everywhere:





So let me put a spin to this phenomenon. If one thinks about the context of science as a learning experience, one can actually transcend a physical learning explanation and explain the nebulous auspices of the metaphysical. 

If I use the concept of a calm before a storm to describe a person's sense of redundancy as the calm, and a change in that redundancy as the storm, it is much easier to understand the concept. The reason is, we are familiar with how changes in one's life can wreak chaos and instability at a moment's notice: ask anyone who has lost a loved one, or who has gotten new information that either creates great joy, or deep sorrow. Change in one's calm life, is truly a storm of which they find themselves at the center. There is no doubt then, that the physical world is possibly a set-up for the spiritual world; or, if that seems a stretch for some, then we can say from the physical to the emotional persona, or the psyche.

Suffice to say, when we think of a storm, we think of it as something dousing and terrible... when in reality, sometimes, storms can actually be a cleansing and a progressive evolving activity to nature. So it is with humans. When we are faced with the redundancy of our everyday lives, we are acutely aware that something is coming, like a storm or a change in our being. 


In literature, we call this a bildungsroman, or a right of passage, usually founded in youth, from early stages to progressive maturity. But once people mature, we assume there are no more rights of passage to experience. This is not true. Changes or passages happen throughout life. We go through new fire patches every so often in life, and we have to walk over the coals or we cannot get to the other side, which means: we stop growing, we become stunted and we never experience the beauty of emotional, psychological, and spiritual growth.


The only way this can happen is for us to walk fully into that sense of change from out of our calm and learn what it is our spirit is trying to teach us about ourselves. Most of the time, all of us feel a bit frightened over the idea of a storm coming, and we put on defenses, like a coat, or a sweater. But in the case of an emotional storm, we put on defenses like affairs, or arguments and blame on others, or excessive spending or purchases, and sometimes as simply as drinking, eating, or movie-going just a bit excessively. It's all a ruse to keep from passing the calm, and moving into the storm. The beautiful thing about storms is this: There is always a calm in the eye of the storm, and that is true of rights of passage, too. It's called an epiphany--and it's a glorious realization indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment