What is a "Lover's Rock?"

Sade's famous song, "Lover's Rock" is one of the most romantic, sensual songs of jazz works, that was ever created. It depicts the intimacy between souls, one to another, in that a soul is rescued by the love and support of another.

This describes perhaps a position of dependence, though however, when one trusts another, such a mutual dependence does occur, whether one wishes to call it such or not. This is indicative of a normal position of balance. This is what we call love.

When there is a position of balance, then Love can be further intimate to encompass all those things privy only to one's soul: argument, sex, laughter, secrets, and so forth. This intimacy graduates further into a bond that is seared together like a welded piece of metal: very difficult to break, if at all.

When one breaks that bond through betrayal, it is irreparable. The intimacy is compromised and the soul that was betrayed becomes forever wounded; distorted. When someone says, "that person is jaded," they mean the person has baggage of potentially hazardous emotional elements that could be destructive to intimacy issues that can wound yet another soul.

It takes a very confident and decent human being to attempt to "weld" the "jaded" soul into one's own. This is the highest kind of Love imagineable. THIS is what the song is truly about.


                                             "Lover's Rock"
                                                     Sade
I am in the wilderness, you are in the music-- in the man's car next to me--
Somewhere in my sadness, I know I won't fall apart completely'
When I need to be rescued, when I need a place to swim,
I've a rock to cling to in the storm.

When noone can hear me calling, I have you I can sing to

And in all this, and in all my life...
You are the Lover's Rock, the rock that I cling to
You're the one, the one I swim to in a storm,
like a Lover's rock,

I am in the wilderness, you are in the music--in the man's car next to me--
Somewhere in my sadness, I know I' won't fall apart completely

And in all this, and in all my life,
You are the Lover's Rock, the rock that I cling to
You're the one, the one I swim to in a storm,
Like a lover's rock

You are the Lover's Rock, the rock that I cling to
You're the one, the one I swim to in a storm,


Like a Lover's rock,

[whisper while music break]
When I need to be rescued, you're there
When I need someplace to swim to in a storm,
You're there in all my life...I think of you...

You are the lover's rock, the rock that I cling to
You're the one, the one I swim to in a storm,....(fade)




Be decent; be courageous, be Soul-filled, and LOVE righteously...
~Lydia Nolan

Comments

Popular Posts