Hope and Gratitude

What a place I've found my self in...what a monumental goof I made....but it doesn't erase the disposition.


As a child I remember having watched an unusual movie. I was just a young girl, and it was a foreign movie, with subtitles and everything...I think it was either Italian or French, I can't remember...

But the movie was called "Nights of Cabiria." I can't even remember the plot, but I remember her disposition. She went through a variety of adventures, mostly destructive; mostly disheartening, but I remember at the end that she managed to pick herself up again, and resume her lost little life (I think she was a prostitute, lol).

What I have as an image in my head, is simply her face. Her face at various times: tears streaming down her face, with mascara trackings; large eyes with lots of hope, disillusionment, then hope again; sad eyes at times, and at other times, eyes filled with a child's hope-like sparkle...It was an amazing movie.

After all these years, I can still see the images in my head. I can't remember a lot of important academic material I've learned through the years, but I remember her.

There is something very, very beautiful about a spirit that does not end in suffocation, but instead, breathes once again, the light of hope. I am forever looking for one of those theatres that show only old, old movies....I would like to see it on the big screen, at least once before I die.


There are other movies that have shown that same theme in variations--perhaps where Hope has changed into a different direction, or is understood differently than when the character began their journey into the plot: Splendor in the Grass, This Property is Condemned, Daisy Clover, (guess I like Natalie Wood, huh?), Brainstorm, Road to Perdition, and many others I cannot remember at the moment...I guess what I'm saying is I like movies or books that have that same quality of Hope...Hope gets us up in the morning; gets us out to pursue those dreams we all have; helps us get through a painful relationship, or an end of a job, or loss of land or lover, whatever it is....Hope keeps us going....we must never lose hope...













I like that line that Tom Hanks says (the movie, "Castaway") when he returns only to find his love, the one love that kept him going in hope, has married someone else, and had gone on with her life. He says,


"...And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?" ~Tom Hanks, Castaway




Hope: the very essence of life and our own continuum...We HAVE to keep going, moving forward, living, breathing....Who knows what the tide could bring? But what gives hope its revival,if you notice here, is something unique that you don't find in everyone, but should find in everyone. It is Gratitude for what was, even if it is lost....gratitude that it was--ever; that it happend, even if it's gone now...Gratitude for what was, and Hope for what will be....these two things one MUST exercise in order to be happy, to go on, to fulfil one's journey to the end....who knows what the tide could bring?

Comments

Popular Posts